I prefer a centrifugal juicer over a mastication juicer. Some people seem to think that the centrifugal juicer generates heat and destroys nutrients while the mastication (cold pressed) retains. In my opinion, the centrifugal juicer does not destroy nutrients, is faster, cheaper and robust. My favorite is the Breville JE98XL
Begin juicing all greens starting with combinations and permutations of celery, parsley, ginger, apple, cucumber and mint.
Add supplements and superfoods such as bee pollen or spirulina if desired
The most striking observation during my Dubai visit was the metro system. Growing up in Dubai, I had thought to my self, “How could trains ever move in Dubai ?” After all, my understanding of trains were the heavy locomotives in India. Train tracks don’t work in the desert. The Dubai metro is a sleek modern metro system for the most part, above the ground level.
Time travel is how I would describe the new Dubai versus Dubai in the early 80s. The pace of growth in infrastructure, population, shopping, dining, entertainment and business is second to none. Dubai in 2018 is a juxtaposition of the relatively older emirate I grew up in with the new modern metropolis
I lived in Southern California for several years and was used outdoor shopping and dining. I was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon several outdoor malls, shopping and dining beachside developments and around and within residential communities and offices.
La Mer and CityWalk shopping and dining developments brought Southern California nostalgia. It’s amazing how this desert city has transitioned to a bounty of outdoor malls. Box Park is another example of modern and contemporary shipping container like stores.
Dubai Marina is my favorite of all the outdoor spaces. This gigantic man-made Marina together with an 8km walking path, buildings, dining establishments and entertainment is among the pinnacles of Dubai’s developments.
Coming back to the metro system, in my opinion, this is among the best in the world. The reason is not because of its expanse or quality of the vehicle. It is because the metro system together with modern Dubai’s urban planning makes it highly convenient and cost effective. From ease of use and accessibility of the metro stations to precision timing of arrivals and departures, the accolades are too many to list.
1. Begin by setting aside store bought dough outside the fridge for atleast one hour or ideally, about 2-3 hours. This helps the yeast to act on the dough to rise. Another option is to prepare homemade dough.
2. Hand stretch and spin or roll out dough to one large or divide in two medium bases.
3. Drizzle a few drops of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and spread with fingers.
4. Spread pizza sauce with a ladel in circles all over the base(s).
5. Pluck fresh mozzarella and spread as a topping randomly on the base.
6. Put artichoke or mushrooms or a vegetable of your choice all over the base.
7. Put sun dried tomatoes similarly all over the base.
8. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt.
9. Sprinkle parmesan cheese all over
10. Spread fresh basil leaves all over the base.
11. Place pizza in oven heated to 450°F for 12 minutes or until crust is seen rising. Please be careful to not burn or brown the mozzarella cheese. The cheese should be melted and almost bubbling when removed from oven.
12. Remove pizza from oven and place on a round wood pizza board. Put a handful of fresh baby Arugula on the pizza as a topping. This is famously the California style of neapolitan pizza where the arugula salad is placed on top.
13. Drizzle a few drops of EVOO and cut pizza diagnolly across 4 diameters.
14. Optional – sprinkle red chilli flakes and enjoy
Time travel is how I would describe the new Dubai versus Dubai in the early 80s. The pace of growth in infrastructure, population, shopping, dining, entertainment and business is second to none. Dubai in 2018 is a juxtaposition of the relatively older emirate I grew up in with the new modern metropolis. Several cab drivers have asked me if I were on a visit. To that I responded by explaining that I was visiting and I had lived in Dubai for 13 years at one time. They could not process the decades long duration, the era gone by, since majority of them were not even born in ’80s. My Dubai exploration began with the curiosity of a child together with a comfort level deep rooted in the ever so familiar culture, as if I had never left.
Having lived in Southern California for several years, I was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon several outdoor malls, shopping and dining beach side developments and around and within residential communities and offices.
Sky high in Dubai
Among my favorite is La Mer in Jumeirah. La Mer is a beachfront development with stores, restaurants cafes, art installation, walkways, water features and entertainment activities. The theme seemed to be inspired from the retro era of Southern California or maybe even the 60s and 70s decades. Vibrant, colorful and eclectic are how several of La Mer’s design and development can be described.
Another outdoor concept in Dubai is BoxPark, an urban setting to shop and dine. BoxPark is all things modern, straight lines, shipping container inspired design and very well organized. From my observation, the BoxPark “pop-up-mall” concept and design could be inspired by the two BoxPark locations in Britain, Shoreditch and Croydon.
Among the biggest outdoor developments is The Beach located in Dubai Marina opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residences between Sheraton and Hilton hotels. The Beach comprises 70+ shopping and dining establishments, literally steps away from the beach.
There is a lot more I will share about the new and old Dubai in other articles. Without a doubt I look forward to visiting this amazing city where impossible is nothing.